Legal obligations for the health, safety and welfare of employees, adapted under core licence from the Health and Safety Executive's website
Help creating a health and safety policy, and undertaking risk assessments.
PlanIT health and safety software tool.
- New businesses need to register either with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) or your Local Authority - depending business type.
- Decide what could cause harm to people and how to take precautions. Risk assessment (PDF file).
- Decide how to manage health and safety in the business. (5 or more employees take notes.)
Health and safety policy.
- Take a look at An Introduction to Health and Safety (PDF file) for two ready-made self-assessment forms. One for a risk assessment and the other for as health and safety policy.
- Consider Employers Liability Compulsory Insurance and the certificate must be displayed in the workplace.
- Free health and safety training for your workers is a must, hazards and should be watched constantly
- Competent advice should be sought, to help you meet your health and safety duties. This can be workers from your business, external consultants/advisers or a combination of these.
- Provide toilets, washing facilities and drinking water for all your employees, including those with disabilities.
- You must consult employees on health and safety matters.
- If you have employees you must display the health and safety law poster or provide workers with a leaflet with the same information.
- If you are an employer, self-employed or in control of work premises, by law you must report some work-related accidents, diseases, and dangerous occurrences.